Recent Case of Treatment Errors Has Left a 72-year-old Woman With Life-long Injuries
When a resident of Connecticut goes to a doctor to be treated, especially for something minor, the last thing they expect to leave with are treatment errors. However, this is becoming an all-too-common reality for many. A recent case of treatment errors has left a 72-year-old woman with life-long injuries after being treated for a simple urinary tract infection.
During the treatment process for her infection, the doctor on call gave the patient Lovenox, which is primarily used to prevent blood clotting. Reportedly, the dosage the doctor gave the patient was incorrect, and caused her to overdose. As a result of the overdose, the woman needed surgical procedures in order to get the remaining blood out of her peritoneal cavity and to avoid permanent damage to her internal organs. It is reported that she also required numerous blood transfusions.
The woman is now wheelchair bound due to the issues she suffered following this incident. According to her medical records, she will remain in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. In addition to this, and along with suffering damages to her internal organs, she will continue to have permanent health problems as a result of the overdose.
The 72-year-old woman filed a claim for medical malpractice against the hospital responsible for her overdose. In the end, she was awarded a $9.3 million settlement. Connecticut residents who are victims of treatment errors do not have to stay quiet. When a patient is injured due to medical malpractice or negligence, they have the right to file a personal injury claim and possibly receive reimbursement for their suffering.
Source: The Courant, Southport Woman Awarded $9.3 Million In Medical Malpractice Suit, Hilda Munoz, Oct. 25, 2013