Family Law Services For Same-Sex Couples
Family law is a rapidly developing area of the law for same-sex couples. Currently, many things remain very different for same-sex couples, but the future has the opportunity to become much less complicated. Here in Connecticut, there are certain aspects to family law that can be relied upon. For example, we no longer have civil unions in Connecticut. All civil unions have been converted to marriages. One way challenges can arise for married same-sex couples is to move to a non-recognizing state.
The fact of the matter is that even the more settled areas of family law for same-sex couples often have complications that call for representation that has extensive experience in helping same-sex couples. Some of the areas that pose additional questions include:
- Parenting — The legal status of children may be in question. The children may be adopted or born naturally to one parent and adopted by the other. There are many permutations that can affect parental rights in different ways.
- Taxes — Given Connecticut’s recognition of same-sex marriage and the federal government’s lack of recognition so far, taxes can be a complicated matter for same-sex couples.
- Prenuptial agreements and property division — Many same-sex couples have an extensive history together prior to marrying. That history can have a major impact on how assets are divided during a divorce. A prenuptial agreement can specify that both parties want the court to recognize that history.
Experience And Skill To Help You Face Your Same-Sex Family Law Matters
At Brown Paindiris & Scott, our attorneys have decades of family law experience that includes staying on top of all developments that impact same-sex couples. Our extensive experience allows us to offer the dedicated representation same-sex couples need and deserve as they work to navigate the evolving family law processes that apply to them. We are dedicated to helping same-sex couples secure the best possible resolutions to the family law challenges that they face.
Our commitment to providing superior representation has earned our firm an AV* Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell’s peer-review rating system, the highest available rating.
Brown Paindiris & Scott provides services to couples and individuals in all areas that affect same-sex couples, including:
- Same-sex marriage
- Same-sex divorce
- Prenuptial agreements
- Estate planning
- Advance directives, health care powers and powers of attorney
- Partner adoption
- Employee benefits
- Real estate partnership agreements
- Dissolution of civil unions
- Custody and support orders
- Property division
Learn More About Our Family Law Attorneys
These cases are handled by:
- Kate W. Haakonsen
- Ronald T. Scott
- Deborah R. Eisenberg
- Kevin B. F. Emerson
- Kathryn Bissonnette
- Santolo L. Odierna
Contact The Same-Sex Marriage Lawyers Of Brown Paindiris & Scott
For same-sex couples facing family law challenges, the benefit of securing skilled and experienced representation that understands same-sex family law is essential. The Connecticut attorneys of Brown Paindiris & Scott have decades of experience helping people build the brighter tomorrow they deserve. To schedule an initial consultation with one of our Hartford same-sex family law attorneys, call 860-266-4278 or toll free at 877-783-5367, or contact us online.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.