BPS is here to serve our clients during this COVID-19 crisis. Pursuant to Governor Lamont’s Executive Order, legal services are essential services. Whether or not we are in our offices, Brown Paindiris & Scott, LLP Lawyers are available by email, phone and video conference. Read More.
You get more than a Lawyer...
You get a law firm
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Probate
  4.  » Changing Your Name in Connecticut

Changing Your Name in Connecticut

| Oct 15, 2019 | Probate |

Contributed by Sean Michael Peoples.

A Connecticut resident wanting to change his or her name may apply to the Probate Court for a name change. As long as the reason for the name change is not based on fraud or illicit activity, the Probate Court may grant the name change. Certain paperwork is required as part of the name change process. This paperwork includes an application form and an affidavit that includes, among other things, where the applicant resides and whether the applicant has been convicted of a crime. These forms are available on the Probate Court website at An applicant must also show his or her birth certificate and two additional forms of identification. The Probate Court will then hold a hearing on the application. The cost of the name change is $225.00.


A child’s name may be changed, provided an adult applies for a name change on the child’s behalf. The Probate Court also has the authority to change a child’s name upon its approval of an agreement of adoption or a declaration of intention to adopt.

For more information about the probate system in Connecticut, visit our webpage on the subject. You can also contact Brown Paindiris & Scott for a free consultation via our website.

FindLaw Network