Walter A. Twachtman
My areas of practice include a special focus on elder law, estate planning and probate, with an emphasis on Special Needs Trusts. I also practice in the areas of residential and commercial real estate, land use, and all aspects of appellate procedure and practice before the Connecticut Appellate and Supreme Courts.
I obtained my BA degree from the University of Connecticut, and my Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Connecticut School of Law, where I served as Associate Editor of the Law Review and a member of the National Moot Court Team. I was admitted to the bar in Connecticut in 1967 while serving as Law Clerk to Associate Justice Howard W. Alcorn of the Connecticut Supreme Court.
In 2003 I was awarded a Master of Law Degree in Estate Planning and Elder Law from Western New England University.
Currently, I am a member of the Connecticut Bar Association, the Hartford County and American Bar Association; and, a member of the Elder Law section, Estate and Probate section, Real Property section, of the Connecticut Bar Association. I am also member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) and a certified Veterans Administration Attorney. I am a former member of the Board of Editors of the Connecticut Bar Journal and a past guest lecturer at the University of Connecticut School of Nursing and University of Massachusetts School of Nursing on Medical Legal issues and also a member of the faculty at the Second National Interdisciplinary Conference, Justice in Healthcare, Orlando, Florida (1988) and the Third National Interdisciplinary Conference, Justice in Healthcare, Chicago, Illinois (1990).
I am married to Dorothy Evans Twachtman and between us we have nine children, 24 grandchildren and 3 greatgrandchildren. I have been a resident of Glastonbury for over 50 years and am a current member of the St Dunstan’s Parish Council.
- Connecticut, 1967
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Western New England University School of Law, Springfield, Massachusetts
- LL.M. - 2013
- Major: Estate Planning and Elder Law
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- J.D. - 1967
- University of Connecticut
- B.A. - 1964
- Major: Political Science
- Major: History
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- Hartford County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Certified Veteran’s Administration Attorney
- PLAN of Connecticut Attorney