Attorney Cody N. Guarnieri is a trial attorney at Brown, Paindiris & Scott. His practice focuses primarily on criminal defense and defending professional and occupational licensing for individuals and businesses.
Cody handles criminal matters throughout Connecticut and southern Massachusetts, as well as in federal courts in both states. He has handled matters in nearly every criminal courthouse in the state of Connecticut and ranging in seriousness from lesser misdemeanors to serious felonies, including sexual assault, bank robbery and murder.
Cody also counsels clients in dealing with administrative agencies for professional and occupational licensing issues, including with the Department of Public Health, Connecticut Medical Examining Board, Connecticut Board of Examiners for Nursing, Department of Developmental Services, Department of Consumer Protection, Department of Children and Families, State Elections Enforcement Commission and others. Cody regularly works with investigatory and disciplinary staff at the many boards, commissions and agencies of the State of Connecticut.
In his civil litigation practice, Cody handles complex personal injury and general litigation matters. In this regard, Cody aggressively pursues claims and lawsuits for individuals who were injured because of someone else, whether it be another driver, a doctor, a property owner, or the manufacturer or seller of a dangerously defective product. Cody has brought class action lawsuits on behalf of consumers, employees and others, including one of the first nationwide class action lawsuits against Volkswagen based on the defective clean diesel "TDI" line of automobiles and class actions on behalf of employees discriminated against for exercising their rights under the Connecticut Palliative Use of Marijuana Act.
Cody was listed as a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in criminal defense from 2015 to 2020, and became the only “Rising Star” in administrative law, for his professional and occupational licensure defense work, beginning in 2020. Cody has been Lead Counsel Rated in Criminal Defense since 2014 and his lawyer rating on Avvo.com is a perfect 10 out of 10. Cody is a Presidential Fellow Emeritus of the Connecticut Bar Association and is currently serves as the vice-chair of the Criminal Justice Section. Cody also serves on the Board of Delegates and as co-chair of the Criminal Justice Section of the Hartford County Bar Association (“HCBA”) and was recently nominated and elected as a fellow of the Connecticut Bar Foundation (“CBF”), for which he is the Chair of the James W. Cooper Fellow Roundtables Program. Cody is also a fellow of the American Bar Foundation (“ABF”) and a member of the Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (“CCDLA”), the American Bar Association (“ABA”) Criminal Justice Section, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (“NACDL”), the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association (“CTLA”), the American Association for Justice (“AAJ”) and the Litigation Section and Lawyer Wellbeing Committee of the Connecticut Bar Association.
Cody was named a "New Leader in the Law" by the Connecticut Law Tribune in 2016. He has also been invited to speak at seminars and panels, including the annual meeting of the Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and the Connecticut Bar Association's Connecticut Legal Conference as well as at continuing legal education programs held by the CBA and other organizations. Cody has been featured in the Practice Tips series of the Connecticut Bar Association.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Professional License Defense
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- J.D. - 2012
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: CALI Excellence Award for Criminal Trial Division Clinic
- Honors: Connecticut Public Interest Journal, Articles Editor
- Honors: Connecticut Moot Court Board, Executive Director
- Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic, Connecticut
- Dual B.A.s - 2009
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Academic Achievement Award
- Honors: Honors Program
- Outline of Pretrial Diversionary Programs in Connecticut
- Contributor, Catholic Transcript, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford
Honors and Awards
- Connecticut Bar Association Presidential Fellow
- Connecticut Bar Association Presidential Fellow Emeritus
- Selected to Connecticut SuperLawyer Rising Star, 2015-present
- Lead Counsel Rated in Criminal Defense, 2014-present
- Avvo.com rated a perfect 10 out of 10
- Selected New Leader in the Law by the Connecticut Law Tribune, 2016
- Fellow, Connecticut Bar Foundation (“CBF”)
- James W. Cooper Fellow, Connecticut Bar Foundation (“CBF”)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Criminal Justice Section, Connecticut Bar Association, Vice-Chair
- Litigation Section, Lawyer Wellbeing Committee, Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- Hartford County Bar Association, House of Delegates
- Criminal Justice Section, Hartford County Bar Association (“HCBA”), Co-Chair
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association (“CTLA”)
- American Association for Justice (“AAJ”)
- Connecticut Criminal Defense Lawyers Association ("CCDLA")
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ("NACDL")
- Criminal Justice Section of the Bar Association, Vice-Chair
- Criminal Justice Section of the Hartford County Bar Association (“HCBA”), Co-Chair
- American Bar Association ("ABA") Criminal Justice Section
Pro Bono Activities
- Hartford Rotary Club, Past President, 2015 - 2016
- St. Patrick - St. Anthony Church Men's Fellowship Member - 2017-present
- Catholic Transcript, Magazine of the Archdiocese of Hartford, contributor.
- Alternate Commissioner, South Windsor Planning and Zoning Commission, 2014 - Present
- Member, South Windsor Democratic Town Committee