Attorney Bruce Newman has been practicing law for over 29 years and concentrates his practice in the areas of personal injury, wrongful death, employment litigation, medical malpractice, product liability, and class actions where he has served as plaintiff’s class counsel and liaison counsel. He is a Lifetime Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which is composed of a select group of lawyers who have achieved million dollar verdicts and settlements in personal injury and wrongful death cases. In addition to Connecticut, he has successfully tried cases in New York and California. Based on his accomplishments, Bruce Newman was selected by the National Trial Lawyers as a Top 100 Lawyer for the years 2013 through 2020. He is ranked as being in the Top 1% of all attorneys by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel for the years 2015 through 2020. He has also been designated by his peers to New England and Connecticut Super Lawyer in the Connecticut Super Lawyers Magazine, Personal Injury Plaintiff’s Law for 2017 through 2020.
In February of 2020 he achieved a $1.5 million confidential settlement for a client injured in a multi-car crash on I-91. He achieved a confidential settlement in a complex occupational illness case in 2019 of $600,000. Other notable class action settlements include his involvement as lead counsel in 2016 in the case of McCormick, et al. v. American Cruise Lines, Inc. where a $1 million settlement was reached; and serving as plaintiff’s class counsel in Adkins, et al. v. Nestle Purina Petcare Company, et al. where a $6.5 million settlement was acheived. He also worked with the plaintiff’s steering committee in the Volkswagen "Clean Diesel" Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation as it pertained to the 2.0 liter engines. He has served as trial counsel for a number of successful verdicts including a case where the Second Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed and upheld a judgment of over $2.2 million for a client in a whistle-blower and freedom of speech case against Pfizer, Inc. He was also a signatory to a mediation agreement that resulted in a $24 million settlement in the Pet Food Product Liability Litigation in 2009.
Every case is different as to facts and circumstances and results will vary from one case to another. The announcement of the results of any one particular case should not be taken as to imply, or guarantee, certain results in any other case.
Mr. Newman has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in various labor, employment and construction disputes. A compassionate litigator, he strives to give his clients personalized attention through the prosecution and handling of injury, accident and wrongful death claims. This is of course vital when the lives of individuals and loved ones have been dramatically changed through no fault of their own. Furthermore, through his experience in representing over 1,000 victims of accidents, he is familiar with the unique nature of all types of traumatic injuries and their long-term repercussions.
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Employment Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Class Actions
- Connecticut, 1989
- New York, 1990
- California, 1990
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1990
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1990
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1990
- Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. - 1989
- Honors: ; Runner-up, Baxter Publication Award
- Colgate University Hamilton, NY.
- B.A. - 1986
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: Recipient LBJ Scholarship for Congressional Interns, 1985
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Economics
- McClain v. Pfizer, Inc
- Administrator of the Estate of CD v. Defendant Hospital
- Pet Food Product Liability Litigation.
- McCormick, et al. v. American Cruise Lines, Inc
- Adkins, et al. v. Nestle Purina Petcare Company, et al
- Guest Lecturer, University of Connecticut School of Law
Honors and Awards
- Million Dollar Advocates, Lifetime Member
- Top 100 Lawyer, National Trial Lawyers, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016 and 2017
- Top 1% of all attorneys, National Association of Distinguished Counsel, 2015, 2016, and 2017
- "Connecticut Super Lawyer" in the Connecticut Super Lawyer Magazine, Personal Injury Plaintiffs Law, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Pro Bono Activities
- Boy Scouts of America, Volunteer