Answers To Your Workers' Compensation Questions

  1. If I am injured at work, what benefits am I entitled to receive?
  2. What if the workers' compensation insurance company refuses to pay benefits to me?
  3. What if I am fired after my injury?
  4. Should I try to settle my case for a lump sum payment?
  5. What paperwork must I file to ensure that I receive all of the benefits to which I am entitled?
  6. What is a voluntary agreement?
  7. What if I work for than one employer?
  8. Do I really need a lawyer for a workers' compensation case?
  9. What does it cost to retain an attorney in this area?

The Connecticut Workers' Compensation Act provides for benefits for periods of time when an injured worker cannot return to work and when an injured worker is released by a physician to do light duty work but no such work is available. Additionally, the act provides for an injured worker to receive a specific award for loss of function of certain body parts enumerated in the Connecticut Workers' Compensation Act. Finally, the act provides for the injured employee's medical bills to be paid.

An employer and its insurer will often deny liability and refuse to pay benefits under the act to an injured employee. When this happens the injured employee and his or her representative must seek relief from the Workers' Compensation Commission. If you believe that you are entitled to benefits under the Workers' Compensation Act and you are not receiving those benefits, you should contact an attorney immediately to protect your rights.

The Connecticut Workers' Compensation Act prohibits discrimination based upon an employee's claim for benefits under the act.

The workers' compensation insurer will often seek to settle a workers' compensation case rather than continue to litigate a case or continue to pay benefits on a weekly basis. A full and final settlement may be in the injured employee's best interests. An attorney experienced in workers' compensation law can discuss the various issues surrounding an offer to fully and finally settle an injured employee's case and advise that employee about all of the benefits available under the Connecticut Workers' Compensation Act.

Similar to a claim for damages in Superior Court or the United States District Court, there are certain forms that must be filed to preserve your claim for benefits under the Connecticut Workers' Compensation Act. Failure to properly provide notice of your claim for benefits may preclude you from receiving benefits to which you otherwise be entitled. An experienced workers' compensation attorney can help you ensure that comply with all notice and filing requirements under the Workers' Compensation Act.

A voluntary agreement is one of the most important documents in the workers' compensation system. This document includes important information about the injured worker, the employer and the insurance company. This document contains a description of the injury, the name of the authorized physician and the employee's base compensation rate as calculated under the act. This document must be approved by a Workers' Compensation Commissioner. Because of the importance of this document, it should be reviewed carefully and corrected, if necessary, before signing.

Injured workers who have more than one employer may be entitled to benefits based upon income earned from both the employer who is responsible for the workplace injury and from the non-responsible employer. The state of Connecticut's Second Injury Fund is obligated to pay benefits on behalf of the non-responsible employer.

Many workers' compensation cases can take months, if not years, to litigate. It is likely that the insurance will retain experienced counsel to represent their interests. Anytime a person is involved in litigation with a large insurance company, it is important to retain equally qualified and experienced counsel.

The Workers' Compensation Act limits an attorney fees to 20 percent of the recovered amount.

Learn More About Our Workers' Compensation Attorneys

Contact Brown Paindiris & Scott, LLP, in Hartford, Connecticut, by calling 860-266-4278.

These cases are handled by:

Back To Top