Creating Fair Child Support Orders

BPS is here to serve our clients during this COVID-19 crisis. Pursuant to Governor Lamont’s Executive Order, legal services are essential services. Whether or not we are in our offices, Brown Paindiris & Scott, LLP Lawyers are available by email, phone and video conference. Read More.

At Brown Paindiris & Scott in Connecticut, our experienced child support lawyers will work hard to ensure the financial security of your children. We can also assist you if you need a modification of payment as a result of changed circumstances.

We can assist with any of the following child support matters:

  • Child support enforcement
  • Child support modifications
  • Wage garnishment

In determining child support, the state has established guidelines for how much a child should receive. The amounts will be based on the net incomes of both parties. Many issues arise where one or both parties are self-employed. Wages can be difficult to determine and amounts of payment hard to ascertain. Another common issue arises if an individual is not working, but should be or is under-employed. In this case, the court will look at earning potential based on education, training and experience.

Requesting A Modification

If you are currently paying child support and have had a substantial change in circumstances, you may be able to get a modification to your payment requirements. The court may reduce your payments if you have been laid off, if you have received a pay cut or if you have become disabled. Child support modifications can only be adjusted through a court order.

Child support is always modifiable either up or down based on changed circumstances. If you are seeking the increase or decrease of a child support payment, please contact Brown Paindiris & Scott for assistance. Our Hartford attorneys would be happy to meet with you regarding your case and provide you with an assessment.

Learn More About Our Family Law Attorneys

Contact Brown Paindiris & Scott, LLP, at one of our four Connecticut locations (including Hartford), by calling 860-266-4278.

These cases are handled by: