Bruce E. Newman
Bruce E. Newman
Attorney Bruce Newman has been practicing law for over 23 years and concentrates his practice in the areas of personal injury, wrongful death, employment litigation, medical malpractice, product liability, and worker's compensation where he has represented individuals and self-insured entities. He has also represented plaintiffs in class action litigation and has argued a number of appeals. He is a Lifetime Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which is composed of a select group of lawyers who have achieved million dollar verdicts and settlements in personal injury and wrongful death cases. In addition to Connecticut, he has successfully tried cases in New York and California. Based on his accomplishments, Bruce Newman was selected by the National Trial Lawyers as a Top 100 Lawyer for 2013. http://www.thenationaltriallawyers.org
Attorney Newman was trial counsel for three verdicts in the past year, including a December verdict in a motor vehicle accident involving the death of an 83 year old woman where a verdict of over $440,000 was secured. In addition, last December the Second Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed and upheld a judgment of over $2.2 million for a client in a whistle-blower and freedom of speech case against Pfizer, Inc. He was also a signatory to a mediation agreement that resulted in a $24 million settlement in the Pet Food Product Liability Litigation.
Every case is different as to facts and circumstances and results will vary from one case to another. The announcement of the results of any one particular case should not be taken as to imply, or guarantee, certain results in any other case.
In addition to being a skilled advocate, Attorney Newman is a compassionate litigator and strives to give his clients personalized attention through the prosecution and handling of injury, accident and wrongful death claims. This is of course vital when the lives of individuals and loved ones have been dramatically changed through no fault of their own. Furthermore, through his experience in representing over 1,000 victims of accidents, he is familiar with the unique nature of all types of traumatic injuries and their long-term repercussions.
He has also served as a volunteer coach for his sons' baseball teams, served as an Assistant Pack Leader for Boy Scouts of America, CT Rivers Council, and has regularly supported our troops in Veterans causes, including Fisher House, a non-profit agency that houses disabled soldiers and their families.
Notable Verdicts and Settlements
- An April 2010 settlement of $1.37 million in a whistleblower employment case. McClain v. Pfizer, Inc. was tried in federal court over a period of three weeks. The jury found in favor of Mrs. McClain.
- A 2009 confidential settlement of $950,000 in a medical malpractice case. Administrator of the Estate of CD v. Defendant Hospital reached settlement at the first day of the trial.
- A 2008 $24 million settlement in a pet food products liability case. Mr. Newman represented over 100 clients in a sub-class of plaintiffs in Re: Pet Food Product Liability Litigation.
- A 2006 jury trial resulted in a recovery of more than $1,000,000 in a medical malpractice case against a surgeon and a hospital.
- A 2004 $1,100,000 confidential settlement in a wrongful death case. This suit involved the death of a young child who was struck by a car after rolling into a street on a toy.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Construction Site Accidents
- Product Liability Claims
- Wrongful Death
- Worker?s Compensation
- Employment Law including discrimination, whistle-blower, and freedom of speech cases
- Class Actions
- Medical Malpractice
- Connecticut, 1989
- New York, 1990
- California, 1990
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1990
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1990
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1990
- Albany Law School of Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. - 1989
- Honors: ; Runner-up, Baxter Publication Award
- Law Review: Albany Law Review, Note & Comment Editor
- Colgate University Hamilton, NY.
- B.A. - 1986
- Honors: Dean?s List
- Honors: Recipient LBJ Scholarship for Congressional Interns, 1985
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Economics
- McClain v. Pfizer, Inc
- Administrator of the Estate of CD v. Defendant Hospital
- Pet Food Product Liability Litigation.
- Guest Lecturer, University of Connecticut School of Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum